Skocz do zawartości

Vangelis - aktualności

fortyck
 Udostępnij

Rekomendowane odpowiedzi

Αυτό το Cd (που περιέχει ακυκλοφόρητη μουσική) δόθηκε σε ανθρώπους που ήταν στην κηδεία του Βαγγέλη Παπαθανασίου.

#Paris - June 3rd 2022
ZnDvsc0.jpg

Żródło: https://www.facebook...100045828606013

• Odpowiedzi 169
  • Dodano
  • Ostatniej odpowiedzi

Top użytkownicy w tym temacie

• fortyck

«Το #Vangelis είναι για τους ξένους»..

d5GpF36.jpg?1

Γνωστός διεθνώς ήταν ως «Vangelis», αλλά στην Ελλάδα ήθελε να τον αποκαλούμε με το ελληνικό του όνομα.
«Είμαι ο Βαγγέλης Παπαθανασίου.
Το Vangelis είναι για τους ξένους», έλεγε.
Οταν ήταν μικρό παιδί κοιτούσε τους συγγενείς και τους φίλους που επισκέπτονταν τους γονείς του στον Βόλο και τους έλεγε: «Ξέρω τη μελωδία σου».
Εκείνοι του χάιδευαν αυθόρμητα το κεφάλι ..
Βαθιά μορφωμένος και στοχαστικός, δεν ασχολούνταν με τα «μικρά» και δεν θαμπώθηκε ποτέ από τη φήμη, όσο κι αν απολάμβανε την επιτυχία του.

According to newer information, there was something wrong to the newspaper's Kathimerini report about the fuheral that I translated for you.

The CD given to the attendants does not contain unreleased music as reported but 2 previously released tracks: El Greco (Movement 1) and Messages (from Direct)
However, there were 2 unreleased ambient pieces played at the funeral.
And, "The Bounty" opening theme was played at the beginning.

Żródło:https://www.facebook.com/vangelisgreece

Friday's ceremony - June 3rd- 2022

Written by Dennis, June 6, 2022
@ elsew.com received many requests, inquiring about Friday's private ceremony in Paris.
Here's what can be shared.
As the hall opened and guests entered, an unreleased piece of Vangelis music was playing.
It was ambient music without melody, very solemn and ethereal.
A screen showed a photograph of Vangelis.
The Salle de la Coupole is a beautiful serene hall under a majestic dome.
In the back, a set of stairs lead up to an apse, its walls and ceiling painted with a blueish night's sky over ancient buildings and a Greek temple on a rocky hill.
When guests were seated, the casket was carried in to the hypnotic tones of The Bounty's opening music.
Vangelis' life was then celebrated and remembered in a heartfelt and respectful ceremony.
He was surrounded by loving friends and family.
Cretan singer Loudovikos Ton Anogeion sang a poem he wrote for the occasion, accompanied on guitar.
There were beautiful words in French, Greek and English, spoken from the heart by a variety of his friends.
Hopefully more about that later.
Then long time collaborator and friend of Vangelis, Frederick Rousseau announced that it was Vangelis' turn to speak, albeit not in words but in his preferred language: Music.
A selection of 25 minutes of his work was played over the speakers: Theme From Bitter Moon, an unreleased track from the score for Alexander (from the scene late in movie, where Alexander dies), Prelude, Blade Runner Love Theme, One Alone, Light And Shadow, Eternal Alexander and Tears in Rain.
After the farewell, while guests left the hall, a second unreleased piece of ambient music by Vangelis played in the background, very heavenly, that felt as if you were among the stars.
We are pleased to report that the private event took place without the tabloid press impeding on the grieving and everyone was free to properly pay their respects.
A commemorative CD created especially for the occasion (artwork below) titled "Vangelis In Memoriam" was handed out to guests attending the reception after the ceremony.
onA8zSa.jpg?1
It contains two tracks, both taken from earlier albums: "El Greco" (the first track from the 2007 score album) and "Messages" (from the 1988 album "Direct").

The World Grieves - part 2

We've assembled a second selection of friends, artists, celebrities, institutions and politicians paying their respects to Vangelis.

For part 1, see here

Sm14KrJ.jpg

On The Occasion Of The Passing Of Vangelis

It is with a heavy heart that I have come to learn about the passing of #Vangelis, a dear friend that I had known for over 25 years. He was a highly gifted musician, a great Greek film composer and Oscar winner, and a kind, brilliant and exceptional human being in every way. His name will be etched amongst the giant musicians in history.

Link to posted video

H.M Shahbanou Farah Pahlavi

do0SVzs.jpg

We have lost #Vangelis. but his music and his memory will remain forever.

I was privileged to discover the person behind the public persona.
He loved space and was in love with ESA.

He composed a great symphony to ESA's Rosetta mission youtube.com/WSa3k...

R.I.P. Maestro

Fernando Doblas
Former ESA Head of Communication

He was a man of great integrity, and it was an honor for me to call him my friend. He was also the most generous man I ever knew, and I'm not just talking about material things. I loved him very much, and look forward to seeing him in the next life.

(Direct contribution)

Cherry Vanilla
Voice on "See You Later, ran Vangelis' US office

lLLVRGN.jpg

Very sad to hear of Vangelis’s passing. We had not worked together for many years, but between 1975 and 1992 I worked with him closely on many projects, especially writing arrangements, mainly choral, […] from Heaven and Hell right through to 1492: Conquest of Paradise; and I also sang solo tracks and conducted for very many recordings, films and for concerts ranging from the Royal Albert Hall to Docklands in Rotterdam to Athens in the Olympic Stadium and the Odeon of Herodes Atticus on the Acropolis. He even said, in some early creative sessions, “we are brothers!”, and I helped him through one major personal crisis. So despite our separation for, bizarrely, 30 years now, I still feel very close to him and hugely regret we did not meet again. But I have been involved in his music many times since, and hope that will continue. Here’s a photo of me with him at the first concert we did together: Heaven And Hell in the Royal Albert Hall in February 1976. I am conducting and look really transported by the music (which I was). And a special t-shirt for the concert - still here somewhere!

(submitted by e-mail)

Guy Protheroe
Vangelis' collaborator for 17 years, conductor of the English Chamber Choir

The giant wild beast has gone to bed.
Greetings to you my friend.

Thank You, Great Soul,

to have illuminated our lives on Gaia,

to have enriched our Dreams, our Spirits, our Souls...

to have made our Hearts, our instruments, sing,

to have inspired so many destinies,

To have passed among us.

Goodbye, Vangelis.

Good Road in the AfterLife, Free and Eternal,

With all those who welcome you with Love...

(poem by Hugo De Monfort - translated)

Jean-Philippe Rykiel
French composer, arranger, keyboard playe
r

KHaYf3M.jpg

Nature endowed you with a gift that made millions of people around the world happy and shudder with your music. I had the good fortune to meet you and offer my voice to your amazing music! I hold these precious memories that we shared together and I wish your soul to rest in peace in the place that gave birth to the sound of your love. #vangelis

Vana Verouti
Greek singer, autho
r

My Godfather passed away yesterday, my father knew him as a brother.

Vangelis was a giant in the realms of music and I will never forget sitting in his studio as a child as he composed the original score for the feature film, Blade Runner.

Love and only love for a man that left behind some of the most powerful music that pathed the way for others.

♥️

Deborah Anderson
Film maker, daughter of Jon Anderson

Vangelis my beloved Vangelis Papathanassiou, you never liked goodbyes ***

Link to youtube.com/iHekAs...

(translated)

Konstantinos Paliatsaras
Greek operatic tenor, vocals on "El Greco" album and others

Rest in peace Mr. Vangelis
Thank you for everything.

(translated)

Dimitris Tsakas
Greek saxophone player on "Remembering" and "BR 25"

Great loss of a great composer. Was privileged to be his friend while posted in Greece and later. RIP dear friend and condolences to his family.

Epic music befitting an epic journey. Thank you to legendary composer Vangelis for providing the score to so many of the #JunoMission's discoveries at Jupiter.

Bhaskar Balakrishnan
Indian science diplomacy fellow, voice on "No Expectation Boulevard"

and this without words my only FRIEND. I'm coming soon too. Do not get lost, OK?

(translated)

Vassilis Bakopoulos
member of "The Forminx"

9EKB1xD.jpg

I know he’s a strong fighter and what is important is he fought hard. The only thing that gives me strength is his love and memories. His words of “forever” may not be possible anymore but his love and help for my family will be imprinted in my mind and heart. I will miss him so much. I will miss how he tells me how beautiful I am every morning. I love you so much Mr. Vangelis❤️

You are at a better place now. I love and miss you so much❤️

Paulette Suayan Valle Tacod
Vangelis' personal assistant

yFOGbZo.jpg

As a big fan of Vangelis, I took his music with me to space. His studio looked like the cockpit of a genuine spaceship in which he composed music themes for movies, concerts and space exploration missions such as the Rosetta mission. On behalf of ESA, I awarded him with his astronaut badge.

The Maestro will forever remain in our hearts both on Earth and in space

Jean-François Clervoy
French engineer and ESA astronau
t

R0fF6ud.jpg

Vangelis was a giant in the music world and I was devastated to learn he had died last week. I became friends with him three years ago when a mutual friend from London introduced us. He invited me to his home in Paris where I met some of his family.

I spent two delightful afternoons and evenings at his spacious apartment where he played me some of his recent videos and I witnessed him working with his engineer on his album “Juno to Jupiter”. He listened with pleasure to my forthcoming instrumental album, knowing that my producer, Peter, and I had been inspired by Vangelis and I had dedicated “Anthema” to him. His assistant cooked us a feast each evening and then was sent out to pick up a box full of rich desserts from a local cafe….yumm! He gifted me one of his sketches and later mailed me his lovely piano album album “Nocturne”. I feel so honoured to have known this creative genius and to have spent that time with him.

Liona Boyd
Classical guitarist, AKA First Lady of the Guitar

ryaUFsr.jpg

2014 with Vangelis in his favourite studio in Paris (working on the track Europa we had written years before) I’d worked on it extensively at Club Ralph with @markralphmusic and just wanted it to be touched by his genius . Set free in the Universe now Maestro . All returned to stardust . #Vangelis #bladerunner #chariotsoffire #china #greek #god

Holly Johnson
English artist, musician, Frankie Goes to Hollywood

ZZw8bFP.jpg

Rest In Peace

#Vangelis

Googoosh / گوگوش
Iranian singer and actress

35ZNwiF.jpg

A great loss is the death of VANGELIS PAPATHANASSIOU, the GREEK who with his musical genius, honored and will honor Greece worldwide and beyond the borders of planet Earth.

A rare photo I publish is from 1964 in Thessaloniki.
Bottom row the FORMINX. The band of Vangelis Papathanassiou, he is the first from the left.
Top row is the band BRAHMS, the band I started my career with.

(translated)

Paschalis Arvanitidis
member of "The Olympians", "The Brahms"

h7M5Upu.jpg

VANGELIS PAPATHANASSIOU DIED

The World-renowned Greek

I have a hangover. I have lost him and I am sad because he was a friend of mine ....

(translated)

Nikos Mouratidis
Greek broadcaster, journalist and blogger

I am very sad that Vangelis passed away, he was super talented and a great man!

Jean Luc Ponty
French jazz violinist and composer

R. I. P. Angel. Have a safe journey Vangelis.

(translated)

Eleni Karaindrou
Greek film compose
r

JkI7jSP.jpg

I am deeply grieved to hear of the passing of my primary musical inspiration and possibly the greatest musical genius of my era. Just knowing Evángelos Odysséas Papathanassíou was in the world in real-time with me was always a comfort- as if i could feel the energy of his brilliance whenever i thought of him. I'm sure he will be dearly missed by so many, as the expanse of his legacy is incalculable. The world is a much more beautiful place through the gifts he bestowed in music, inspiration, vision, passion and sheer courage to explore creative universes in his own unique and exquisite way. Today i stand along side my bloodlines in Greece to mourn the loss of one of our great cultural heros.

θα ζήσετε για πάντα στις καρδιές μας και στα πνεύματά μας.

(translated: You will live forever in our hearts and in our spirits.)

Chris Spheeris
Greek-American composer and musician

Totally gutted that #Vangelis has died.

I knew him when I was 18 and used to visit his London studio. He once kindly showed me how he scored #Bladerunner and played it live for me. He also composed the Chariots of Fire soundtrack.

He was a total genius.

Jon Dee
Broadcaster and founder of Planet Ark

A PART OF MY HISTORY PASSES WITH THE DEATH OF VANGELIS

Vangelis, the legendary Greek-born electronic composer and musician who was best known for his theme song for Oscar-winning ‘Chariots of Fire’, has died today at the age of 79.

For 40 years his music was the soundtrack of my healing as I played albums such as ‘Oceanic’, ‘1492’, ‘Blade Runner’ and many others, both in private sessions and during healing demonstrations.

He said: “My interest was not to create a symphony orchestra, which I can very easily, but to go further than that and do things that the symphony orchestra can’t do. And I think I succeeded to create something like this.”

I once had the privilege of spending an afternoon with Vangelis at his Nemo Studio in London and we chatted about nature, mythology, reincarnation and music. I’m not often starstruck or tongue-tied but that day I was - until he put me at ease and I forgot that I was talking to a legendary figure.

As one of his greatest fans, I once paid £250 for a signed limited edition album he’d recorded. I’ll always treasure that.

But, more than anything else, thank you Vangelis for all the beautiful and often spine-tingling music that helped lift my healing to heights I couldn’t have imagined. I’ll be playing it until I fall off the stool on which I perch when healing.

Matthew Manning
Bestselling British author and healer

9xdVwAo.jpg

Thank you Maestro for honoring us with your presence in our studios. #Vangelis - photo: 1986 Forum Studios - album "Page of life"

Forum Studios
Recording Studio, Italy

I had the great honor of working on an album with Vangelis as a programmer in the late 80s at RAK studios London.

You can only imagine the nerves I had to deal with when programming synths and samplers for the very guru who wrote the rules in this field. He was a true master to work with, always open to show me the ropes. Sometimes he came across a tad difficult, but it was always due to his commitment to reach perfection !!

Thank you for teaching me so much, plus inspiring generations with your epicness man !!

You will be missed but your music will undoubtedly move people deeply forever ! ✌♥️

We paid homage to him in a track titled “Vangelism” on our album “Modular Baptism”

-REST IN PEACE MAN-

-Forever grateful--Dan-

Pig&Dan
Duo DJ

So sorry to hear of one of the greatest composers of our time passed away Vangelis

So privileged to have been inspired and worked with such a wonderful soul.

In 1988 Vangelis and Jon Anderson worked at my home in LA Hollywood to write the page of life album.

Vangelis did a very rare concert at Royce Hall UCLA as a 1 man band, he not only played it but mixed it live from stage in quad which was absolutely stunning!
What a truly amazing eternal being!

One of the true angels that has touched this earth ❤️

Love to Vangelis and to Jon x

David Tickle
British record producer and engineer

I had the privilege to work with him on a very short project, back in the 90’s. Was at his home studio in Athens. Humble and respectful, he was like a child wanted to learn everything. From that day on, I always remember his hands. I cannot explain it, but my feeling was that his hands where playing music also when they where not on the keyboards. RIP #Vangelis. You will always be an artistic magnitude ❤️

Takis Tsonopoulos
Manager at Harman Professional Solutions

J0KVs1K.jpg

There is one name that says it all ...

Vangelis

1943 - 2022

The precursor of electronic music, a genius composer of music for films and not only.

A quiet, modest man.

His music for the movie Chariots of Fire was a breakthrough.

You loved the cosmos, you reached it. You will live forever.

Zbigniew Preisner
Polish film composer, member of the French Film Academy

You moved me to tears on every note and in every moment you were present. Even in this very moment as I sit here writing this. You changed my life. You influenced every note I myself have created and put out into the universe. Man, you were so damn prolific. You were immortal to me and I sit here in absolute disbelief that you are gone. Your legacy will live on forever.

RIP Vangelis. Beautiful musical soul. Thank you for living...

Nicholas Gunn
US-based English songwriter and music producer

Wow, that a loss. The word 'pioneer' is too often used but it’s appropriate in this case because when you shift expectations about what is possible and create multiple works which can be the epitome of both craft and - dare I say it, art - in the way that #Vangelis did it’s sometimes difficult to understand just how influential and significant those works are when they are so often referred to as some of the best, but they really are. Thank you for the music & thank you, most of all, for your creative mind #VangelisRIP

Segun Akinola
English composer for television and documentaries

I’m devastated to learn that Vangelis has just departed this world after battling Covid.

I first became acquainted with his music in the Carl Sagan production, “Cosmos”. Then came Chariots of Fire and Bladerunner, still one of my favorite films largely because of his presence.

Thus began my love affair. I own all of his albums and soundtracks, which are numerous. I remember when the internet came into being, he was one of my first “searches” and I was printing out pages of information dedicated to him with the fear that someone might decide the internet was a bad idea and it would shut down.

His music has been an immeasurable inspiration to me and has certainly influenced my own creative efforts with my Blue Landscapes music and elsewhere. His music has largely been a soundtrack to my life and it has made my life’s experience all the more beautiful and full of marvel and wonder.

His music emphasized beauty in its simplicity, and yet his sense of orchestration was masterful and spontaneous in its creation. Though he didn’t read music, and though I was tickled that 90% of his spontaneous compositions gravitated towards a tonal center of C# or Db, I truly feel he was a genius.

What a gift and musical giant he was to me and millions of others.

Requiesce in pace, Maestro, and thank you for your beautiful and timeless music.

#vangelis #musicalhero #visionary

Robert Thies
American concert pianist

How is it possible that Vangelis never won a Grammy?! I wish I could give him mine-- feeling sad and undeserving today. I hope you are resting peacefuly, in a land as rich as the ones you created with sound. #Vangelis

Vivek J. Tiwary
Grammy Award winner, American author and theater producer

I’m so sorry to hear that Vangelis has passed away. He was a legend, & a huge influence on so many composers. I listened to 1492: Conquest of Paradise so many times when I was growing up, & I love the iconic scores for Chariots of Fire & Blade Runner. Thank you, #Vangelis. #RIP

Emir Isilay
Turkish film composer

Vangelis (1943-2022) As with so many other electronic music musicians, synthesizer fans and film music composers, I too was strongly influenced by Vangelis' outstanding film music and instrumental music. his influence in these areas of music is just immense. I first noticed the name Vangelis with his project "Jon & Vangelis" and his early work with his band "Aphrodite's Child". these chapters are also bursting with his impressive creativity, his love of detail and his surprising soundscapes. at the same time a magician in the studio and a composer with a passion for „playing“ music. thank you for the great music and the numerous hours with the headphones on my head, with my thoughts deep in the worlds and soundscapes of Vangelis.

Σας ευχαριστώ!

Heiko Maile
German musician and composer, member of Camouflage

Absolutely devastated to learn of Vangelis’ passing today. I’ve taken so much inspiration from his work and even just mere days ago, I was deep diving into his writing and programming process yet again to find out more (as I do a couple of times a year). The man was pretty much a self taught musician who was able to convey musically, across a huge spectrum of styles and genres, feelings that many struggle to express: exhilaration, pain, passion, wonderment, trepidation, hope and so much more. A composer and sound designer who pushed boundaries and made machines sing.

This is a loss I will feel deeply for a long time to come. Vale Vangelis ❤️

Jamie Stevens
Electronic dance music

Thank you Vangelis for your inspirational music, the soundtrack to my youth that introduced me to my obsession with synthesisers/ electronic music that in return gifted me my own career. Though I didn’t know him personally, I feel like I’ve lost an old friend. RIP

John 00 Fleming
English trance producer and DJ

RIP Vangelis. A pioneer with a unique sound and style, with his iconic film scores, and his collaborations with Jon Anderson.

Mike Lindup
keyboardist and singer, founder member of "Level 42"

So very hard to take on that #Vangelis has passed on. One of my very favourite composers for so many years. #BladeRunner #ChariotsOfFire #1492 the list is endless. Thank you so much for the power and humanity of your music #VangelisRIP

Peter Irving
London-based actor

rest in peace to a pioneer (and personal musical hero) Vangelis. thank you

el-p
American rapper, songwriter and producer

words can't describe how influential Vangelis's music has been in my life and especially on "Yasuke". Yall know this one cuts deep. RIP to the legend!

FLYLO
American rapper and DJ

#vangelis has returned to source. His legacy will continue to inspire us - a true legend and one of my favourite composers of all time ♥️

Kirsty Hawkshaw
English electronic music vocalist and songwriter

Evángelos Odysséas Papathanassíou

The reason I came to be...

#vangelis #rip

G.Pal
New York-based Greek composer and sound designer

The score for Blade Runner is my favorite score of all time. The deeply meditative and magical score by #Vangelis came from somewhere beyond my comprehension. It was just insanely good. Thank you for all the wonderful music, have fun in the cosmos.

Jesper Kyd
Danish composer and sound designer

Such an influential composer - his score for Blade Runner was such a huge influence on us. Freaking genius. #vangelis

Hybrid
British electronic music duo

While Carl Sagan was one of the most influential people in my life, Vangelis provided his soundtrack and so many others. Hopefully their energies can reunite in the next dimension. Cheers to a legend who will be missed.

Von Hertzog
American synthpop artist and producer

uXsXZDc.jpg

Remembering the late, great VANGELIS. So very sad to hear the news but what an amazing legacy he left us. These are my 2 favourites of his, Opera Sauvage & China, my go to albums when I need to relax and disappear into beautiful, nostalgic soundscapes, but so many more other gems in his back catalogue. What are your favourites?

Minute Taker
English recording artist

RIP maestro Vangelis.

Thank you for the music. It’s simply impossible to convey the vast influence that this man's work has had on us. Gunship would not exist without his inspiration.

Travel safe to the shoulder of Orion. We hope the C-Beams glitter in the dark.

#RIPVangelis

GUNSHIP
British synthwave band

GxtpOPp.jpg

May he rest in peace, he was my hero and a massive influence, celebrate his outstanding music and hear his spirit continue within the sounds, the intricate textures and beautiful melodies.

The Rosen Corporation
Hamburg-based electronic music composer and artist

I first discovered Vangelis' music, like many I'm sure, as a teenager seeing Blade Runner for the first time. There aren't all that many composers that successfully paint the world we see on screen with music in such a perfect way as Vangelis did with Blade Runner. His direct and improvisational method of translating what he sees and feels instinctively to the keyboard is genius. A rare talent that allowed him to imbue his music with his emotions derived from the visuals, in real time as he experienced them. This would elevate scenes to a level, with atmosphere and emotion that we don't experience very often in movies, and an impression that for many of us lasted a lifetime.

I was forever a fan of Vangelis since those days. His love of improvisation, the fact that he never learned how to read/write music and that he was quite reclusive were all things I could relate to, gain encouragement from, and thanks to him, understand the importance of emotion in music.

He'll be forever missed. Thank you for the music and inspiration.

State Azure
UK electronic music producer

Rest in peace, Vangelis. He was a pioneer, a visionary, a true artist, and one of my biggest inspirations. #vangelis

Vogel
Electronic dance music

RIP #Vangelis

I remember watching this when I was 14 in a nearly empty ABC cinema in Belfast

I had never seen or heard anything like it...

the music complimented the visuals perfectly

The next day I went back and watched it all again...

Link to posted video

Adrian McKinty
Northern Irish novel writer

The greatest thing any film composer can do is write music that is indelibly associated with images, that could only be for the film it was written for. Vangelis did this many times over. Vale.

Dan Golding
Australian writer, composer and broadcaster

Another master is gone. Goodbye Vangelis… Your music will forever be with us.

❤️ #rip #legend #vangelis

George Perris
Greek-French singer and songwriter

Just learned of the passing of ‘Vangelis’ who created my favorite film score of all time to ‘Bladerunner’. His creative genius of combining acoustic piano, other organic instruments and synthesizers cannot be overstated. Thank you, sir, for blessing this world with your beautiful imagination.

Dan Reed
American musician and artist

The theme from “Chariots of Fire” propels me back to my early adolescent years. What a film score!! It also became one of my favorite movies of all time. Here’s a little tribute to Vangelis.

I wish I’d met him! RIP..

Gabriela Montero
Venezuelan pianist and composer

Thank you for inspiring me to be an electronic musician You are a Legend Vangelis, the impact you had on modern music can’t be measured

RIP
❤️❤️

Valentina Moretti
Mexican singer, songwriter and musician

R.I.P. to one of the greatest to ever do it~ #Vangelis

정재윤 / Jae Chong
KPop, CPop and JPop composer and producer

Another great composer gone too soon.

The synthesizers and electronic music community has lost one of his pioneer.

His score for Blade Runner was my favorite.

Dani Donadi
Italian composer and music producer

Me & many others in drum-and-bass have been inspired by this absolute genius. When I hit a creative wall I listen to his music.

A Next Level Genius. R.I.E.P VANGELIS ❤️ #RIPVANGELIS

FUTUREBOUND VIPER
one half of Matrix & Futurebound

Vangelis passed away. His work, particularly the soundtrack to Chariots of Fire, influenced my passion as a young teenager to just sit down at that upright piano and try to work life out.

Paul Cardall
American pianist and composer

I’m late on Vangelis passing, but still wanted to pay my respects this super talented musician. He made some wonderful tunes both in acoustic and electronic styles. This is one of my faves from his early period. Safe onward journey and I reckon I know what song was playing as he went through the pearly gates. R.I.P

Dave Lee ZR
Disco and house music Dave Lee

Agh! Vangelis has left this world to live on another . RIP master of sound and dreams ,Blade Runner would never have been Blade Runner without your beautiful music Thankyou so much

Luke Slater
English electronic musician and DJ

In memory of Vangelis,

He wrote this beautiful anthem called "Rachel's Song". Just like the 'Nasty Boyz' I did my version of this track and named it 'Angel'. Armin played this two years ago at ASOT 950.

Vangelis passed away may 17th

Richard Durand
Dutch DJ and record producer

Most of the people of my generation grew up listening to his music. Vangelis was an icon, and he will never be forgotten. Today we have lost a truly talent. #vangelis #soundtrack #electronic #music #rip

David Granha
Spanish electronic music producer

A great composer has passed away to join the stars. #Vangelis was a very inspired musician and will still very inspiring. The world of music owe him so much. Keep an ear to listen one more time or for the first time to his music. My thouths goes to his family and people he loves.

Christophe C. Andersen
Composer, Arranger, Sound Designer

Vangelis Papathanassiou
1943-2022

We are bidding farewell to a singular musical mind and a deeply charismatic personality. His contributions are a treasure for humanity and place him among the greatest of greats. For most people, his creations have not yet revealed their full importance in the history of global culture. His lifetime opus, spanning Music, Technology and Painting will manifest its significance as time goes by.

He is by far the most important influence in my life and the one that, through his modus operandi, made me believe early on that pursuing Music is indeed worth it, despite all the difficulties.

Dimitris Menexopoulos
Greek sound desginer and composer

A little known fact of music history: my grandfather conducted the very first recordings of Vangelis Papathanassiou, Demis Roussos and Lucas Sideras, which started their careers as internationally renowned recording artists.

My grandfather had founded what was, to the best of my knowledge, the very first independent recording studio in Athens, Greece, in the 1950s.

The Columbia complex predated it and consisted of a record pressing plant and recording studios, spread out over several buildings on the same plot of land, owned by a major record label. Neither the Columbia facility nor my grandfather’s studio survived. But the music that was recorded within them certainly did.

I guess it runs in the family!

RIP Vangelis!

#analogrecording #vangelispapathanassiou #vangelis

Jesus I. Agnew
Greek-American audio engineer

I grew up with these epic sounds, R.I.P. legend

Vangelis: Open Spotify

Michelle Rodriguez
American actress

My favorite composer has passed away. He wrote the music to chariots of fire and the greatest movie of all time Blade Runner and many others . Rest In Peace Mr Vangelis #bladerunner #vangelis

Reginald Hayes
American actor, screenwriter, and director

Not only is Bladerunner one of my favorite films of all time, I wore that soundtrack out! The atmospheric, evocative, otherworldly yet nostalgic score by Vangelis was the perfect synthesis of vision and emotion. He was an aural genius. #RIPVangelis

Lou Diamond Phillips
American actor and film director

Sad to hear about the passing of Vangelis, his music and scores alike transported me to another plane. May he Rest In Peace

Sasha Grey
American actress and musician

v7I8tpM.jpg

RIP VANGELIS - Godspeed to the Man, the Myth, the Legend. From defining the expressive voice of the CS80 to creating the iconic synth score of Bladerunner, Vangelis’ impact on our world is enormous. One of our proudest days was when we discovered many years ago that he was one of our users! What an honor! In fact, we were so thrilled when he contacted us earlier this week for support. Truly heartbroken to hear the news that one of our biggest synth heroes is gone. For us it’s like hearing about Michelangelo or Picasso passing! Thank you Vangelis for blessing us with all of your music and your boundless imagination. You are now in the place to which your music always took us, among the stars. ❤️

Spectrasonics
Virtual synth company

HwzPCRT.jpg

A master of creating timeless soundscapes and an inspiration for so many, we are saddened to hear news of the passing of Vangelis. Our thoughts join with the rest of the music community to mourn the loss of an icon.

Yamaha Synths
Synth company

RIP Vangelis - One of the greatest composers and pioneers of electronic music has passed.

In 1980, he composed the score for the Oscar-winning film Chariots of Fire, for which he won an Academy Award for Best Original Score.

He will be greatly missed.

Behringer
Synth company

b5xIDzr.jpg

Very sad to hear about the death of Vangelis. Not only Vangelis was this incredible composer we all know, but he was -and will remain- an amazing source of inspiration for musicians. He certainly was for us all at #Arturia.

Long after Vangelis is gone his powerful brass will resonate in the heads of many.

Frédéric Brun
Owner of ARTURIA

“He was - and will remain - an amazing source of inspiration for musicians. He certainly was for us all at #Arturia." Rest in power, Vangelis.

ARTURIA
Synth company

Yesterday we lost one of the great electronic musicians.

Vangelis was a huge influence on the early development of the sounds of Equator and the Seaboard.

Here's one of our favourites from Blade Runner, found in the ROLI vaults.

Link to video demonstration

#RIPVangelis #Vangelis #Seaboard #BladeRunner

ROLI
music technology company

R.I.P. Vangelis. His music in the Cosmos and Blade Runner soundtracks was one of the main influences for my career path.

I saw Blade Runner in the Cinerama Theater in Seattle in 1982. Watching this in 70 mm / 6 track Dolby blew my mind. Everything about this was amazing: the synths, the 224 reverb, the huge percussion.

Valhalla DSP
Digital audio tools company

We’re saddened to hear the passing of one of the greatest film composers of all time, the legendary Vangelis.

“All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain...”

Varèse Sarabande Records
Soundtrack record label

We were shocked to hear of Vangelis' passing last week. Vangelis spent 6 months working out of Metropolis in 2012.

Rest in peace Vangelis, our thoughts and prayers are with you, your family and friends.

Metropolis Studios
Recording Studio, UK

kHOPmDu.jpg

I couldn't and didn't want to talk about Vangelis earlier, because I couldn't. But tonight I wanted to write and share with you some memories, anecdotes and what Vangelis represented on a personal level. The immense composer and the friend he was for me.

Everyone remembers the "Chariots of fire" for which he had won an Oscar against another giant, John Williams (and his music by Indiana Jones), or for his magnificent music for the film "1492, Conquest of paradise one of my favorite songs. The public generally knows only a tiny part of his work. He had actually composed so much, so much experimented. Including for me... and I find it hard to realize as I write these lines the immense honor he did me, but the last time we saw each other, he had made me listen with my astronaut friend Jean-François Clervoy a music he had composed inspired by the digital paintings of my book HOPES that he loved so much he told me. (And since Vangelis was also a great painter, a friend of Dali, you can imagine the pleasure it could have). We then sat in the armchairs of his office with Jean-François, and closed our eyes to listen to the recording he had made just before going to supper. This memory will live on forever.

Nor will I ever forget those whole nights spent philosophizing on the state of the world, sometimes in the smoke of his cigars, until the early morning when he usually lost me around 6 or 7 a.m. I would then go to bed near his piano (I loved that). His incredible piano, unique in the world, with which he explored, composed, imagined, created, invented...

When I came to his office, there was always an innumerable amount of awards that he had had throughout his career. Diplomas and documents from NASA (his music has indeed inspired the space world so much within all the agencies, from NASA to ESA, for which he composed the music for the Rosetta probe), but also his famous oscar - an Oscar is heavy! – and so many others… I remember asking him one day which one he was most proud of. He then showed me the olive branch (if I'm not mistaken, but I'm pretty sure it was an olive tree) under glass, which came from the village of his childhood. It had been given to him years later, when he had returned there, to Greece. A return that had sounded for him like a kind of revenge, because he had always been very critical of the education he had received at school and often explained to me that he had learned everything in the end by himself. and that the school was in no way responsible for his success (on the contrary). We also shared this critical look at school and studies and the discrepancy between what is taught there, and what we should basically expect from it.

I remember lots of anecdotes he told me, light discussions we had about the stupid things we had done in our respective youths (in fact we had found some points in common on this level, it was quite amusing to the most serious and serious topics about the state of the world and the path that humanity was on. Vangelis was lucid about the state of our planet, and worried, it is the least that can be said. As a warning sign, the music he had made me listen to that famous evening, around the paintings of Hopes was very dark, it gave me the impression of a world in the midst of chaos with at times, like in the middle of a storm, sort of small musical clearings despite everything, a musical metaphor for what was going to happen in the following months...

And then there were those surreal moments, when he talked to me about his friend Slavador Dali (because Vangelis was also a great painter himself and I was always stunned by his paintings which were everywhere in his house) or other personalities whose he had crossed the whole within the framework of his long career. I remember that day when he wanted to call Sean Connery, to offer him to participate in Hopes. Or that day when he showed Hopes to Oliver Stone who had stopped by the house. Because it was also this Vangelis person, someone generous who tried to help, to advise... and who, I could see, also worried about me in the complicated times I was going through, which really touched me..

Finally come back to me those moments when he played his musical works for us. This same Vangelis who had played in front of hundreds of thousands of people at the opening of the Olympic Games in Athens or in the pharaonic concerts he gave in his country and which we had for ourselves, at his home. Watching him play was a real spectacle in itself, unique on the myriad of devices around him. I have never seen anything comparable in music.

I regret that we had time to collaborate more. But I consider myself so lucky already to have crossed his path and to have spent these moments with him.

This evening I write these words I confess with tears in my eyes listening to his Album "Nocturne", and in particular his rewriting of "Conquest of Paradise", because it is the music that made me know him and "the petite fille de la mer” from “l'Apocalypse des Animaux” because I like the peaceful and melancholy side of this album that I listened to with my little nephew at night, looking at the sky in summer.

Thank you for everything Maestro. Thank you for your music, thank you for these countless discussions, thank you for your friendship,

Thank you for everything.

Rest in peace

Laura, I'm thinking of you very much tonight. Thank you to my friends Jean-François, and to Fernando Doblas for having allowed this beautiful meeting a few years ago without knowing that this beautiful friendship was going to result from it.

(translated)

Yannick Monget
Founder of Symbiom Group

Greece and the world are sadly saying goodbye to a musical genius.

Vangelis Papathanassiou, one of the leading Greek composers, passed away today at the age of 79.

A pioneer of electronic sound, he experimented with all genres and grew internationally as a musician and composer of electronic, progressive, ambient, jazz and orchestral music.

He won an Oscar for his original soundtrack to "Chariots of Fire"" in 1982, and has composed a number of other major films, including Ridley Scott's "Blade Runner".

Athens Epidaurus Festival
Annual arts festival

Rest in Peace, ‪ Vangelis, a true Legend and great man who carried Music and culture around the world for decades! Your music will live forever!

World Music Awards

It's sad news that the composer Vangelis has passed away. Amongst the beautiful music that he composed were albums related to solar system exploration. He worked extensively with Scott Bolton, leader of the Juno project, and produced an album "Juno to Jupiter" (Decca, 2020), of inspiring soundscapes to accompany the Juno mission. I recommend it! He had earlier written music for the Rosetta mission.

BAA Jupiter Section
Jupiter Section of the British Astronomical Association

FNtGFOh.jpg

Enormous grief.
A huge loss.
End of an Era.

Addio my friend

#RIPVANGELIS #ΒαγγέληςΠαπαθανασίου

Aspasia Leventis
International Foundation for Greece

He had honored me many times with his friendship, his love and his trust, but I will miss his presence very much for many more reasons. I add here the words of my wife Karen, who describe him much better than my own pen could do: "A gentleman and a gentle person. Twinkling and sparkling eyes like the stars he listened to. An engaging personality and a “persona” which filled the room as well as his music. His honors and awards hidden among his books, not ostentatiousλy displayed. An honor to have sat around his table with Laura and his friends. »

Link to video

(translated)

Dionysis Simopoulos
Eugenides Planetarium's director

His music has inspired all of us, and we were honoured to work with him for our commercials: directly from our historical archive our tribute to #Vangelis, who with this unforgettable melody brought #Barilla pasta into the homes of all of you.

Link to video

Thanks for everything, Maestro!

Barilla Group
Food company

What an amazing moment we shared! How nice to have met and collaborated with you. We shall miss you Vangelis.

youtube.com/W4UGbr0RBGo

Red Design Consultants
Greek branding agency

Vangelis, the Greek composer and musician whose synth-driven work brought huge drama to film soundtracks including Blade Runner and Chariots of Fire, has died aged 79.

Hailed as a pioneer of electronic sound he was continually celebrated for his evocative Oscar winning 1981 Chariots of Fire soundtrack as well as his score for the film Blade Runner.

We had the pleasure of interviewing him in the June 2020 edition and you can read it here.

RIP Vangelis, what a sad loss for music

Sound on Sound
UK audio magazine

rest in peace to a pioneer and personal musical hero

Link to NME article

NME
UK music magazine

Rest In Peace King. A huge loss to our community. Take your synth goodness to the skies and we’ll catch you in another world #vangelis

Attack Magazine
London-based electronic music online magazine

gIRnYVw.jpg

A giant of music has departed. Rest in peace, Vangelis.

Classic FM
UK classical radio station

FsaZfwr.jpg

#RIP
Vangelis
29 March 1943 - 17 May 2022

We are absolutely devastated to be told of the death of Vangelis.
Evángelos Odysséas Papathanassíou was born on 29th March 1943 in Agria, Greece. He was best known to us as a progressive electronic composer and musician of the highest calibre, who passed away on 17th May 2022 in France having enjoyed a career spanning more than 50 years. Rest in peace Vangelis, your music will live on forever.

Proggers
Progressive rock Facebook page

My biggest disappointment making DANGEROUS DAYS was being unable to get Vangelis for an interview. His music, not just in BLADE RUNNER, was otherworldly in beautiful and haunting ways I lack the words to describe. He created lush dream states I still love getting lost in.
R.I.P.

Charles de Lauzirika
Film maker of "Blade Runner" documentary film

Sad to hear of the passing of Oscar-winning composer #Vangelis. His futuristic synth score to #BladeRunner remains an unmatched masterpiece. May He Rest In Peace.

Drew Struzan
American artist, and designer on "Blade Runner" film poster

Vangelis' music is the soundtracks of dreams. His music made men run faster, made cars fly. Scores stolen from another dimension to expand ours, each a gift.

Michael Green
Screenwriter on "Blade Runner 2049
"

6SFfZVM.jpg

RIP Vangelis

Thank you for the music!

Alex Solman
German illustrator

Everyone remembers something from Vangelis Papathanassiou. In my memory remains something public and personal at the same time. Our collaboration in the presentation of his work "Mythodea" organized on June 28, 2001, in the center of Athens, at the Temple of Olympian Zeus, by the Ministry of Culture and Sony Classical. This music accompanied the same year, the NASA mission to Mars and became a worldwide success. It was the opening event of the Cultural Olympiad in view of the 2004 Olympic Games. An impressive universal message. But also a difficult artistic, organizational, technical, communicative and (as it happens, fortunately or unfortunately, with all the important things) political bet. Now Vangelis Papathanassiou is becoming his music. This unique musical wave that came from his talent.

(translated)

Evangelos Venizelos
Former Greek minister of Culture and Sport

KTu1u58.jpg

Vangelis Papathanassiou, a great Greek, a great creator of contemporary music is "gone".

I was lucky to have met him. His stories and artistic sensibilities were unique.

We will continue to travel in its unique sounds, to the rhythm "Chraiots of Fire".

(translated)

Tasos Chatzivasileiou
Member of the Greek Parliament

T55i3KS.jpg

Our condolences to the family of Vangelis Papathanasiou and to music lovers all over the world mourning the loss of one of Greece’s most celebrated artists. Vangelis shaped the music landscape of the 20th century and was a pioneer in fusing contemporary sounds with classical compositions and musical traditions. His legacy has been recognized by the most important performing artists and institutions around the world, and his award-winning music will remain forever a treasure for humanity. He wrote the timeless scores for Chariots of Fire and Blade Runner, among numerous other classics. Through his music, we journeyed to the stars. May you rest in peace, and may your music and memory live on.

US Embassy Athens

The great Greek composer, "Vangelis" Papathanassiou, left this world at the age of 79, who died in Paris. The cultural world, Greece, has lost one of the precursors of electronic music, which Le Monde describes as the "wizard of synths".

To name just one title, listen again to "La Petite fille de la mer" from her album "L'apocalypse des animaux".

Link to "La Petite fille de la mer"

Ambassade de France en Grèce
Embassy of France, Greece

GItGOrY.jpg

We mourn Greek Oscar-winning composer Vangelis who passed away at the age of 79. He will be remembered for his wonderful work in the music and film scene, as well as his musical contributions to ballet, theatre and even football.

Embassy of Belgium in Greece and Cyprus

Special thanks to Carl Deseyn, Peter Dekker, and Ilker Tezcan. Appreciated!

Żródło: http://elsew.com/data/latest.htm

One month ago was made the announcement that the world has lost a genius.

#Vangelis created music of extraordinary originality and power, and provided the soundtrack to so many of our lives.

His music will live on forever.

#ΒαγγέληςΠαπαθανασίου

Πριν από ένα μήνα έγινε η ανακοίνωση ότι ο κόσμος έχασε μια ιδιοφυΐα.

Ο #Βαγγέλης δημιούργησε μουσική εξαιρετικής πρωτοτυπίας και δύναμης και έδωσε το soundtrack σε τόσους πολλούς από τη ζωή μας.

Η μουσική του θα συνεχιστεί για πάντα.

0ZVch4U.jpg

Żródło: https://www.facebook.com/groups/43052267368/user/100045828606013/

• 2 tygodnie później...

Paris 1992 !

Mixing of "Conquest of Paradise 1492"@ Epsilon studio

On the pic: Vangelis, Gérard Depardieu (Christopher Colombus), Philippe Colonna @the mixing console, Frederick Rousseau at the right, Laura Metaxa ! and Ridley Scott on the sofa.

Csefd9a.jpg

Żródło: https://www.facebook...00045828606013/

Dionysios Simopoulos, honorary director of Eugenides Planetarium in Athens Greece, and actually the man who made it what it is today, had exciting news to share.

Vangelis Kalafatis, the lawyer responsible for Vangelis affairs, contacted him and told him that Vangelis had expressed his wish and his surviving wife Laura fully supports it, that 40 minutes of unreleased music will be used for the 20-year anniversary show of the Eugenides Planetarium next year!
The unreleased music will be adapted to picture with the collaboration of Vangelis assistants and the directors of the show.
As Dionysios Simopoulos points out, he had visited him in Athens many times and listened to brand new unreleased music performed for him that actually was better than the released music we know!
He actually pleaded Vangelis to release a part of it but Vangelis smiled and said "The time has not yet come".
Vangelis actually said: "My friend Dionysios, the music that I sign is not actually mine but is ready and well hidden out there at the fountain of the universe and waits for me as the means to transfer it back to earth".
They were planning to create a show with Vangelis new music, but because of the busy schedule Vangelis had at the time it did not happen then.
But, it will happen next year!
The show will be called "We are Stardust", a phrase used by Vangelis himself.
I can't wait for that show...

7UvRQ6n.jpg?1

Żródło: https://www.facebook.com/vangelisgreece

• 1 miesiąc temu...

Σχεδόν τρεις μήνες που αναχώρησε ο Μαέστρος #ΒαγγέληςΠαπαθανασίου-#Vangelis.

Ενώθηκε με τα αστέρια και το Σύμπαν.

Βέβαια, ο Βαγγέλης δεν ήταν «θρησκευόμενος».

Η γιορτή της 15ης Αυγούστου - Η Κοίμηση της Θεοτόκου - είναι μια σημαντική ετήσια ημερομηνία.

Χρόνια πολλά με υγεία και χαρά σε όλους 2764.png .

Μαέστρο Βαγγέλη : Αναπαύσου εν ειρήνη

kdea73E.jpg

Almost three months since the Maestro #Vangelis left us.

He is united with the Stars and the Universe.

Of course, Vangelis was not "religious."

The feast of August 15th - the Assumption of the Virgin Mary - is an important annual date in Greece.

Health and joy to all of you !! 2764.png

Maestro Vangelis: Rest in peace

Żródło: https://www.facebook...00045828606013/

• 4 tygodnie później...

Oliver Stone's ''Nuclear'' with its original #VANGELIS score will screen at Venice Film Festival (8, 9, 10 september 2022).

More: https://www.facebook.com/TheOliverStone?__cft__[0]=AZXHkUeUEtlajTm5GrhsojLRwSAlJ-rYiV_rD2e-Xtz32jQSKaXl03XzrGLvabdgLbXpJXY7Hu53kNPdeyFm0jWbOjA4a_SzSqV3jz5qYg2pv6E5DVHIw6Zi61wVfAtmSR39ogjAxrMy4P3H6yPMQETFQ5TaxlULOO2c1dWQdabsQzMdlW9Byj-m9_PyeRcZh-WkUVV3XCAZtBfiyzmavlG-&__tn__=-UC%2CP-y-R

Confirmed: Album with music expected at later moment.

DIQCQFc.jpg

Żródło: https://www.facebook.com/groups/43052267368

Vangelis score for Oliver Stone's "Nuclear"

As we wrote in September last year, Vangelis was then working with Oliver Stone to compose a score for the iconic director's documentary on the prospect of turning to the use of nuclear energy.

The movie, now titled "Nuclear" will enjoy its first public screenings at the Venice Film Festival on September 8, 9 and 10.

Check the link below for more details.

Our reliable sources from Vangelis' close circles confirm that Vangelis had worked on this music for quite some time, before his sad passing, and the movie will indeed be released with its Vangelis score in place.

The same sources share that an album with music from the movie in some form is expected to be released at a later moment.

Do check back here for more news on this topic, as well as other topics we will be catching up on.

DIQCQFc.jpg

• 4 tygodnie później...

Vangelis' legacy

After receiving many questions from all over the world since Vangelis' passing, we have checked on a few select topics with our sources close to Vangelis' immediate family, to find a degree of clarity.

First, the question of whether more releases of Vangelis music (be it completed albums that never saw the light of day, or select music from his vaults of unused recordings) may still be released in any shape or form?

Yes, according to our sources, the intention is to fully preserve Vangelis' legacy, which means that the intention is to eventually share as much as possible of his creations with the world.

That would include his unreleased music, but also paintings or other art.

But patience will be needed for that.

Much needs to be organized, and the mourning over his passing is still fresh.

Second, many have asked whether the location of Vangelis' ashes could be visited to pay respects.

This is currently not the case.

Our sources confirm that they are still in Paris, but not subject to public access.

Eventually - and this will take quite a lot of time, perhaps next year - they will return to Greece according to Vangelis' wishes and will most likely be scattered at sea, at a location of Vangelis' choice.

It is possible that a ceremony will be organized when this happens, and that may have a partly public character.

Time will tell.

We will keep you updated of any developments.

• 1 miesiąc temu...

Neuronium & VANGELIS - In London (Platinium Edition 2022)

Date : 11.11.2022

Package : CD Digipack

Running Time CD : 47:51

Jz8ejVB.jpg

It was in the year 1981 when Belgian electronic musician Michel Huygen and his Spanish colleague Carlos Guirao, both better known as Neuronium, met with Evángelos Odysséas Papathanassíou, better known as Vangelis, to record a joint session in London.

Michel Huygen remembers: “The music we played together starting from my score, was flowing, flowing so fast and smoothly between the 3 of us, that I can now, many years after, say: We recorded all the music’s parts in one single “shot”, since the result was absolutely what we all wanted and Vangelis told us: “Don’t touch what we have recorded, it is lovely ” and so we did.”

Now, after some rather unofficial releases, the opus “In London” is finally released for the first time in its entire length, titled “In London – The Platinum Edition”, fondly reworked, remastered and sonic refined to perfection exactly 45 years after Neuronium released their first album on the famous Harvest label.

Michel Huygen had intended to celebrate this anniversary with Vangelis in Paris.

But fate had other intentions, on May 17, 2022, Vangelis died as a result of a Covid-19 disease.

Huygen: “I feel honored to have been able to meet him, to play music with him and to have him as a funny friend too.

And mainly to have been able to meet a huge musician, a classical composer for the forthcoming generations, without doubt.

R.i.P, dear Vangelis.”

Tracklist:

1. In London 20:12
  2. In London (After Hours) 18:35
  3. In London (Radio Edit) 03:10

Total: 47:51 min

Żródło: http://www.mig-music.de/en/releases/neuronium-vangelis-2/

• 5 miesięcy temu...

"Nuclear Now!" review

osRAxRs.jpg

I'd like to share my review of Vangelis' score featured in Oliver Stone's "Nuclear Now!":

I had the pleasure of watching Oliver Stone's documentary "Nuclear Now!" at a recent film festival, which features an original score by Vangelis.

From the outset, the film grips the viewer with its ominous bells and electronic choirs held in suspense, creating an atmosphere of fear that perfectly matches the archival clips and loud sound effects shown during Oliver Stone's narration. Director Stone spends about 10 minutes introducing the history of the nuclear age, and as each new phase of history is reached, Vangelis' music changes to match the visuals.

Director Stone provides a steady stream of narration throughout the film, only breaking away for interviews with experts. Once we get past the historical introduction and delve into the main presentation, Vangelis' music gets more moments to breathe, and provides the listener longer moments of appreciation. Vangelis presents a variety of styles, with some new compositions feeling right at home on his recent albums like "Juno to Jupiter" and "Rosetta", characterized by his symphonic style. Some of these new compositions are rousing heroic anthems that stir up a swell of emotions that only the maestro Vangelis can capture, while others are somber and reflective, reminiscent of the music from "Alexander."

For some Vangelis fans, perhaps the most exciting part of the score is his experimentation with new palettes of sounds, which he drives with his signature style. There are plenty of new tracks that explore synth-driven rhythmic compositions, with less emphasis on symphonic elements and more towards pure synthesizer setups. One particular track had a fast pulsating synth chord that unravels into an exciting electric piano and synth music, reminiscent of anything recorded at Nemo Studios. Another short but curious composition had multi-layered horns with piano and sequencers, while a third evokes the spirit of Vangelis' classic works like "Oceanic" and "BR25". A fourth track starts as a marching band percussion track but then changes into a beautifully reflective track. Additionally, there is a fresh, more synth-driven version of "Rosetta's Waltz" that dispenses with the graceful waltzy string ensemble for a more synth-driven interpretation. Although some of the other synth-driven cues are played for short fragments, they are mostly in a minimalist style and it's precisely this restraint that makes them so impactful, and yet recognizably Vangelis. The listener is left dreaming what these compositions would sound like in full.

One of the standout moments in the film is a delicate string piece that evokes imagery from a "Blade Runner" movie, though its full beauty is somewhat muted by its soft volume behind Oliver's dialogue during his visit to the French nuclear reactor. Speaking of "Blade Runner", another new composition starts with a synth sweep and leading horn sound, before developing into one of many exciting synth-driven tracks featured in the film.

While there are many other new tracks in the film, not all are covered in this review. Some are too short to be fully appreciated, and the constant narration often leaves the listener guessing how the full compositions would sound.

The film features a mix of Vangelis' new and existing music. For instance, "Himalaya" plays during a segment about China, while a new composition by Vangelis that uses synth sitar-sounding instruments can be heard during a segment about India. Additionally, various other tracks from Vangelis' repertoire, such as those from "Rosetta" and "L'apocalypse des animaux", are also featured in the film. The "Stephen Hawking tribute" track is especially impactful and is featured at the end of the film.

As the film reaches its conclusion, a darkened screen emerges, displaying a heartfelt tribute to Vangelis:

In Memory of Vangelis
1943-2022

The end theme features the new "Rosetta Waltz" rendition followed by one of the synth-driven tracks that was played several times throughout the movie. As the movie credits roll, we catch sight of the music score credits, which include the name of the composer, Vangelis, as well as the names of his two close friends and long-time collaborators from the studio:

Music Composed Arranged Produced & Performed by
VANGELIS
Music Recorded & Mixed by
PHILIPPE COLONNA
FREDERICK ROUSSEAU

The movie will play in North America on May 1st for a one-day screening and will be shown for only one day. There are news reports that after the theatrical release, the film will be available for streaming. If experience tells us something, like the Algerian film "Crépuscule Des Ombres" (Twilight of Shadows) featuring one of Vangelis' most captivating works, the movie was only screened at a few film festivals but never officially released and, to the best of my knowledge, not released theatrically in its native country. Fans are encouraged to savor the latest, if perhaps the last, music of our beloved composer.

Sufian

Please check the calendar to see when and where the film is being shown across North America.

Additionally, please keep an eye out for further screenings of the film in other parts of the world:

Żródło: https://elsew.com/data/latest.htm

• 4 miesiące temu...

Vangelis score for "We are stardust" at the Eugenides Planetarium in Athens

The Eugenides Planetarium will soon begin showing a new movie in its planetarium dome, titled "We are stardust, Tribute to the music and universe of Vangelis".

Screenings at the location in Athens should start in the last half of October.

Conceived and directed by the scientist and astrophysicist Dionisis Simopoulos, who was struggling for several years against a severe pancreatic cancer, while working on this new cinematic tribute to the universe, and its exploration.

Simopoulos had convinced Vangelis to create new original music for this occasion.

Vangelis, who greatly appreciated Simopoulos as a scientist and friend had composed and recorded his music before his sad passing in 2022.

Then, long time Vangelis collaborators Philippe Colonna and Frederick Rousseau finished the mixing and worked with the artistic team of the planetarium to synchronize the music and images.

Before the movie was finalized, sadly Dionisis Simopoulos also passed away, with his close collaborators - including his son Panagiotis Simopoulos - finishing the last details to deliver the movie that the public will soon be able to see.

And indeed hear!

The movie contains 40 minutes of music, most of it completely new, with one track taken from the Juno To Jupiter album.

New Volos Theater to open with Vangelis tribute concert.

An orchestral concert of Vangelis music is being planned to formally open the new theater of the Greek City of Volos, which in itself has already been named after Vangelis in honor of his legacy.

Vangelis was born in Agria, a small coastal village near Volos.

Our sources close to Vangelis confirm some details for the event.

The music will be performed by a large orchestra, with choir and sopranos and will be accompanied by images from Vangelis' life, as a tribute to him.

As currently conceived the music would be selection of Vangelis' most famous themes, but probably also include compositions not publicly released, including parts from the Beauty and the Beast ballet.

The event was originally scheduled to be staged this month but has been pushed back due to the current difficult circumstances including flooding in the Volos area and other parts of Greece.

A proper announcement with a new date will be published when the time is right.

Żródło: https://elsew.com/data/latest.htm